Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day(s) of School

On Monday Etta started Kindergarten.

Kindergarten.

That means that today was my 6th year of not going to school (to work).

That is the same number of years that I had a first day of school as a teacher. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

But with four burners going this morning and a baby on my hip I couldn't imagine any place else that I would rather be. Slightly different than six years ago.

We all make choices with our lives. And unfortunately the media (social media??) tries to convince us that we are making the wrong choices. With everything. Breast vs. bottle. SAHM vs. working mom. Co-sleeping vs. cry it out. And we let it bother us? Why is that? I must admit, I am just as guilty as everyone else of . . . feeling guilty about the choices that I make.

Am I always calm? Is my house always spotless? Um . . . no. Are there days that I wish that I was going to Jenifer Junior High School to teach? Yes. But am I overall happy with the choices that I have made? Most definitely.

But back to our star of the post.

Etta is in Kindergarten.

She is in a K-2 class at Beacon Christian School. There are 6 kids in Kindergarten and 15 kids total. 9 boys and 6 girls. That totally works for her!

This summer she learned how to ride her bike without training wheels, took swimming lessons, learned to tie her shoes and taught herself how to whistle. She doesn't mind helping me out as long as I give her real, actual chores to do. No pretend busy work for this girl.

We butt heads, argue and don't always get along. I don't know if it is because we are very alike or very different. But we do usually read together every afternoon and I love having her run errands with me.

This year I am hoping that she learns how to read. Really read. Not just sight words and memorizing (which she is very good at).

I am proud of her determination. Proud that she is confident in her likes. Proud of the fact that she knows how she likes her hair.

She is my eldest.


At her desk.
Second day of school. Shirt and socks that she picked out at Old Navy all by herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment