Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Journey to Six - Part VI

"Jesus said, 'Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.'" Mark 5:19 NKJV

The Wicks Six!

Emily with Ethan, Mae, Etta, and Bob with Russell
Soon after I hit publish on The Journey to Six - Part V I decided to pray.

I thanked God for the incredible week that I had just had. I thanked Him for the blessings that He had rained down upon us. I then went forward boldly and asked Him to get the ICPC clearance done.

As soon as I finished praying I called our Washington state lawyer. I got connected with his secretary and she put me through to his office. In the brief moment that it takes to transfer a call, my call waiting beeped on my phone. 

A Washington state number.

Wait. What?

It was Mark.

Calling me.

To tell me that the clearance had come through.

That we were free to go home!

Less than 24 hours and we had our clearance. We wouldn't have to wait out the weekend. We could fly into Bozeman to see my side of the family.

To say that I was excited would be an understatement. I immediately posted on FB and made some calls. Next item up was to book plane tickets.

I got a 7:15 a.m. departure time with one layover in Denver, CO to get into Bozeman at 1:15 p.m.

The rest of the day was spent packing, resting and getting ready to step back into reality.

Ben & Gail took us out for dinner to celebrate and get one more piece of Southern culture. Dinner at a "Meat and Three". I got that experience and enjoyed a couple of big glasses of sweet tea. It was an enjoyable evening.

We headed home, topped off the night with home made ice cream and I went back to our little apartment for the last time.

I don't know if Ethan knew something was going to be different or if he was just having a rough night. He had his regular feeding at 10:30 but then wouldn't settle down. I finally brought him into bed to snuggle with me and we slept from 12:20-1:30. Next feeding. He wouldn't settle down again. So I brought him back into bed with me and we snuggled some more. Then my cell phone rang at 3:45 a.m. A recording telling me that my flight plan was changed and I would have a six hour layover in Denver  and wouldn't be getting into Bozeman until 7:15 p.m. Since I knew I was getting up at 4:15 to get ready I really didn't go back to sleep. Thankfully, by now, Ethan was asleep enough that he slept on his own until it was time to go.

I was still okay with a 7:15 p.m. arrival time. I mean, at least it wasn't the next day, right?

But Gail had a different idea.

"You need to talk to them at the counter. Explain that you can't have a layover for that long. That is unacceptable."

I don't fly that often. I am a rule follower. The idea of asking for something different really intimidated me so I just kind of smiled and nodded.

But Gail felt a nudge. A nudge to get up at 5:00 a.m., ride 30 minutes to the airport and come in with me. To the desk. To help me with my tiny baby in a sling, heavy brief case, diaper bag and giant suitcase.

And God sent down another miracle.

As I checked in the lady behind the counter said, "Looks like you have a delay."
Me: "Yes, from Denver to Bozeman."
Lady: "No, your flight here doesn't leave until 9:45 a.m. And then you next flight is delayed too."
Me: .......
Gail: "That is not okay. She has a five pound baby here. Isn't there something else you can do for her?"
Lady: "At least he isn't an almost-two-year-old."
Gail: "... Well ... that is true ... "
.............
Lady: "How does a 6:50 a.m. departure from here sound? With a layover in Chicago and an arrival time in Bozeman of noon?"
Me: " .... Yes, please!!"

With the print of new tickets it was done.

Gail and I bid a tearful farewell, I went through security and that was that.

I was going home.

The flights were very uneventful. Ethan ate just before each boarding and slept through both flights in the sling. He was oohed and aahed over. I rested on and off. Even the take offs and landings weren't that bad.

Then we were there.

Greeted by my folks and Etta and our friends Nancy, Bruce and Haley Nelson.

It was amazing. There were tears, hugging and questions coming from every direction.

My brother was at the cabin by the time we got there. Bob got in a bit later with Mae and Russell.

We were complete.


On our way home we stopped for a picnic lunch. I just happened to have all of the kids in line. In birth order. We have entered a whole new world.


Thank you for sharing in our journey.

If you feel moved to donate to help defray expenses that we have incurred, please go here:


to make a tax deductible donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment