Sunday, May 11, 2014

Surprise for Mom

I really, truly, honestly don't mind when the children get dirty. (It's not my favorite, but usually it's okay.)

But not on Monday.

Monday when I was sick all day.

Monday when I was alone because Bob had school and then theatre rehearsal.

Monday when I had made it through the day, dinner done by 6:30, and with bedtime firmly in my sights.

Monday when I heard through the open kitchen window,

"Daddy, daddy, daddy! COME LOOK AT US!"

No.

No. No. No. No.

And that is when moms are done being sick and are back to being moms.

But it was okay. I didn't yell. I didn't spank. I didn't punish.

(Although I might have gone a little too far with the hose. But they were still laughing, so it was all okay.)

I got the big chunks off and got them in a warm bath, warm jammies, cuddles for stories and then off to bed.

Because that's what moms do, right? And it's just mud and it washes off. And someday, way sooner than I want or expect, there won't be muddy faces or clothes or hair and my life will be calmer, but a lot more boring.

Happy Mother's Day to two of the three that made me a mommy.


Here are some quotes:

"But we were doing the Dirty Dash!"
"We wanted to make mud pies!"
"We just needed to be in the mud!"

No comments:

Post a Comment